How to File for Divorce in Virginia
A divorce can happen suddenly, or over the course of many years. No matter the cause of your impending divorce, the law firm of Thomas L. Hunter, P.C. is here to help you from beginning to end.
Following are the steps involved in filing for divorce in Virginia —
- Meet the Residency Requirement — First, you must make sure you are eligible to file for divorce in the State of Virginia. In order to file for divorce, you or your spouse must have lived in Virginia for at least six months.
- Establish the Grounds for your Divorce — Next, you must state your reasons for the divorce. Virginia offers a no-fault grounds for divorce. Alternatively, you may file for divorce on the grounds of adultery, sodomy, buggery, conviction of a felony, incarceration for at least one year, abandonment, assault or inhuman cruelty.
- Filing — A divorce law firm can assist you in obtaining a complaint for divorce form. After filing this document, your spouse has 30 days to respond.
- Discovery — If you and your spouse cannot agree on issues like child support, spousal support, custody and the division of property and assets, you will have an opportunity to resolve your differences through depositions and negotiation conferences.
- Trial — If your divorce is contested, and you were unable to come to a final agreement during the discovery phase, your case will need to go to trial.
The end of your marriage can be devastating. However, with the assistance of an understanding and tenacious divorce lawyer, you can start a new life for yourself.
The benefits of a law firm serving Hampton, Norfolk, Newport News and Portsmouth
The law firm of Thomas L. Hunter, P.C. has been fighting for the rights of spouses seeking or facing divorce for over 20 years. Our lawyers are committed to guiding you through the divorce process. We have a deep understanding of Virginia laws and are prepared to utilize every resource at our disposal to assist you in moving forward with your life as quickly as possible.
Contact us for a consultation
To learn more about how to file for divorce in Virginia or to speak directly with an experienced Thomas L. Hunter, P.C. lawyer in Hampton, contact us online or call one of our four convenient offices —